HistoryFrom Prehistoric to Recent Times Past
The Cheshire Historic Towns Survey – Tarporley Archaeological Assessment and Strategy provides detailed information about Tarporley’s historical development. A number of prehistoric finds have been discovered within close proximity of Tarporley (Neolithic stone axe CSMR 874, flint scraper CSMR 875 and a Bronze Age barbed and tanged arrow head CSMR 2321) and while this does not suggest settlement, it does indicate prehistoric activity within the area. There are also suggestions of Bronze Age burials at Tarporley
From Roman to Medieval
It is thought that Tarporley High Street was part of a Roman Road called the Via Devana which ran from Chester to Colchester. A coin of Claudius II was found in the vicinity of Tarporley and dates to 268-270 AD.
At Domesday, Tarporley was included in the Hundred of Rushton. The Domesday entry indicates that Tarporley was a small agricultural settlement. Like many Cheshire townships, it had suffered devastation in the harrying of the north by Norman forces 1069-70, and had made only a partial recovery by 1086. It received a Royal Charter in 1292.
In the medieval period Tarporley was a small town, dominated by arable and pastoral farming. Data for Cheshire towns is rare because in the medieval period the shire was exempt from national taxation, having its own taxation system, the Mize. In the Cheshire Mize of 1405, Tarporley was assessed at just 13s 4d.
Post Medieval to the Civil War
In the post medieval period the manor passed from Hugh Dennis to the Hintons, and it was purchased c1590 by the Dones who, since the 13th century, had resided at Utkinton Hall to the north of Tarporley.
Tarporley was the scene of a minor skirmish in the Civil War. This took place on 21 February 1642 between Sir William Brereton’s forces (who were forced to retreat) and the Royalists from Chester.